Monday, 26 March 2012

A New Hope

I'm trying this blog as an experiment to see if it gets me posting more often than I have lately. I've used a few platforms previously. My site ran PostNuke for a while, but it was OTT for my needs. I then went to the other extreme of Pyblosxom that uses simple text files instead of a database. I like it, but composing a post takes me a while. I could install something like WordPress or use a hosted version, but as I seem to be putting all my eggs in the Google basket I thought I would give Blogger a go.

I think this blog will mostly be about my attempts to make music. Other stuff is likely to go on Facebook and/or Google+ as it should reach more of the intended audience on those sites.

For those who don't know me I'm a (very) amateur guitarist who dabbles with various styles. In recent years I've started getting into recording using my Linux PC. I know Mac and Windows offer lots of exciting options for recording, but I just happen to prefer the Linux philosophy. I believe that all the tools I really need are available on Linux. Most are free (as in beer), but that doesn't mean you can't make donations to the projects behind them.

I plan to write some posts about the gear and software I use plus details of how I approach each project.

Meanwhile, you can hear some of my recordings on SoundCloud.